25 disability groups sign joint statement to increase disability employment
Disability Employment Australia alongside 24 disability organisations push for all government workplaces to be accessible for people with disabilities has been heard.
Led by Vision Australia, the joint statement has led to positive feedback from the Digital Transformation Agency (DTA) who has pledged to promote and closely monitor accessibility guidelines.
The joint statement outlines details how procuring accessible information and communications technology (ICT) can help increase the disability employment rate within the Australian Public Service (APS). It specifically urges for the Australian Standard for the procurement of accessible information and communications technology (ICT) to be enforce, promoted and monitored within the APS.
While the hard work to make this a reality has only just begun, this news is a step in the right direction.
Any progress on the campaign to ensure accessible ICT is procured by all government departments and agencies will be posted on the Vision Australia website.
1. Action on Disability within Ethnic Communities Inc.
2. Australian Blindness Forum
3. Australian Communications Consumer Action Network
4. Australian Federation of Disability Organisations
5. Blind Citizen’s Australia
6. Disability Employment Australia
7. Disabled People’s Organisations Australia
8. House with No Steps
9. Life Without Barriers
10. Macular Disease Foundation Australia.
11. National Disability Services
12. Queensland Braille Writing Association
13. Regional Disability Advocacy Service
14. Retina Australia
15. Royal Society for the Blind
16. The Tipping Foundation
17. Uniting Victoria Tasmania
18. Victorian Advocacy League for Individuals with Disability
20. Vision Australia
21. Vision 2020 Australia
22. Women with Disabilities Victoria
24. Youth Affairs Council Victoria
25. Youth Disability Advocacy Service
- Kate Begley: Government Relations & Policy Advisor, firstname.lastname@example.org 03 98649415.
- Reeni Ekanayake: Campaigns Advisor, email@example.com 03 98649388.
Disability Employment Australia sources and promotes articles and information that we deem relevant and interesting for our members. The views represented in the news items are the authors and not necessarily that of Disability Employment Australia. Disability Employment Australia claims no authorship or ownership over the articles and does not gain financially from their promotion.